I have this problem where I have to take something simple and easy and make it much more complicated and difficult. For example when I made the Princess’s quilt, the first quilt I ever made, instead of following a kit I made my own pattern. I bought the material on my own and I came up with my own layout. Now I’m working on a quilt for the Professor and of course, I’m using my own layout again. Maybe the next quilt, I’ll use kit…maybe.
So when my little Princess asked me if I’d sew her some clothes for her American Girl doll I knew a typical pattern would never do. The pattern pictures show ill fitting clothes on the front of the envelope. They all look homemade and really plain compared to the actual American Girl doll clothes. I’ve made one outfit from the patterns months ago and it just didn’t measure up. I knew I had to take it up a notch, so I called upon my pattern making skills back from my college days and started creating. I’m pretty sure my parents didn’t send me to school to make doll patterns for their future granddaughter, but at least it didn’t go to complete waste.
I still have much more to do. My pattern making skills are rusty but they’re coming back to me. I’m excited to see the finished project and I’m even more excited to give my little girl her new doll clothes on Christmas morning. I hope they measure up to the ones from the store.