The Milk Monkey has had a cold for the past 3 months. He coughs all night and his nose is constantly running, he wakes up crying in the mornings and after every nap. He had his 15 month wellness visit the other week and the doctor listened to his lungs – they were clear. We were told to bring our little monkey back if it didn’t clear up in a couple weeks.
Last night we listened as our precious sweetheart coughed and whimpered throughout the night. We knew something wasn’t right…it had gone on long enough, so today an appointment was made and we went to the doctors. Our little guy has been having bouts of hives and lots of rashes for months now also. When he cries his little face gets blotchy red and puffy and we’ve been fighting a persistent diaper rash for over a year. I kept thinking it had something to do with allergies even though we’ve been told by the doctors before that hives aren’t necessarily an allergic reaction. Sometimes hives are a result of a virus too.
The doctor who saw the Milk Monkey today thought that maybe it could be that his little body is producing too much histamine. She noticed that when the Monkey laid his head on Daddy’s shirt his face became all red and irritated from the small amount of contact. She decided he should see an Allergist to get to the bottom of all of this. Meanwhile, she also wanted us to take the Milk Monkey to have his chest x-rayed just to rule out anything else. It wasn’t an emergency or anything, but it had to be done before we see the Allergist.
I decided we should do it right away, just to get it done. The hospital was on our way home and we only had two of the three kids with us so I figured it would be prudent to do it today rather than leave it to last minute. Thank goodness Daddy agreed and we went today. It turns out our Monkey has pneumonia starting in his left lung. We were expecting the results of the x-ray within a day or two but instead we got a call on our way home and the nurse told us they’ve already sent a prescription for antibiotics to our pharmacy.
Tomorrow we will call the doctor to find out if the pneumonia is a result of untreated allergies or if it was unrelated. I still want to see the Allergist to see if we can get some of the other issues cleared up too.
Tonight our little guy is in bed after his first dose of medicine and hopefully soon he’ll be feeling better.