Yesterday I promised more about my last quilt.
I wasn’t going to do a post about it right away but I’m just so happy with how it turned out that I just had to show it off. There were many new techniques on this quilt that I was trying for the first time.
The pattern was new to me, it’s called a Double Pinwheel, and I was so pleased at how all the pieces matched so perfectly.
It’s a lot easier to do than it looks!
Something else I tried that was new was the wavy edge finish all along the quilt.
Again, I was surprised at how well it turned out. The waves came out completely symmetrical something I wasn’t sure would happen. Binding turned out to be a lot more difficult on a wavy edge than on a straight edge. I had to seam rip the first corner, but it didn’t take long to get the hang of it and the remaining three corners went well.
The last technique I tried was using a stencil as a guide for my free motion quilting.
That had it’s own unique issues. It took a lot of time just tracing the stencil to the quilt using a disappearing ink marker. I ended up destroying two of them by dragging them through the stencil. Eventually I ended up switch over to the stencil spray. I had a hard time controlling the amount of spray coming out, but it definitely went faster. I’m going to have to do a little more practice in this area.
In the meantime, I think the final outcome was beautiful. I really love how the quilting turned out because of the stencil.
I’m ready to start my next quilt – I’ve even purchased the fabric.
Here’s a preview!